We all know how blistering hot it can get in Louisiana during the summer time, and getting into a hot car is no fun. You burn your legs on your hot leather seats, you feel like you need to wear oven mitts to touch your steering wheel and your dripping sweat before you even start your car! Summer can be tough on cars, especially during high temperatures when heat can destroy batteries and stress the cooling system and tires. As a precaution, these vehicle components should be checked periodically during summer to help avoid breakdowns and car problems. All Star Ford Lincoln is here with some awesome summer tech tips to make sure your car is in perfect condition for the hot Louisiana weather.
- The key to summer driving is keeping the engine cool. We’re going to talk about the radiator and coolant soon, but first you need to check the hoses and belts. The hoses connected to the radiator help pump coolant to and from the engine block, and the belts run the fan that helps cool the system further. If the hoses crack or the belts snap, the radiator will quickly overheat, leaving you stranded.
- Check hoses for cracks, leaks and loose connections. Hoses should be firm, never soft and malleable. Hoses suffer from a slow deterioration process called electrochemical degradation (ECD) that eats away at rubber hose material from the inside. The most vulnerable parts of the hose are those nearest to clamps where the hose connects to the radiator or the engine.
- Belts can also be visually checked for cracks and damage. Take note if the belt looks excessively slick or smooth. Remove the belt to make sure that the material hasn’t started separating into different layers. Experts say the risk of belt failure rises dramatically after 36,000 miles.
- Park in the shade. Yes, you risk tree pollen or even bird droppings on your car, but it will be much cooler. If there is no shade, then park with the sun beating down into the rear window rather than the front to avoid the steering wheel and front seats from getting hot!
- Don’t leave items in the car. We all know not to keep perishables in the car, but the sun can also affect CDs, DVDs, laptops, cell phones, and toys. Put the items in the trunk or better yet, take them out if you won’t be using them regularly!
All Star Hyundai is a proud member of the All Star Automotive Group, and carries the Hyundai line of products; which are some of the most reliable and dependable vehicles in the world. We serve the Baton Rouge and New Orleans areas as well as Denham Springs, Walker, Addis, Central, Baker, Prairieville, Gonzales, Hammond, Port Allen, Plaquemine, White Castle and Lafayette. If you are in the market for a Hyundai, come by our Dealership at 10313 Airline Hwy in Baton Rouge and experience Sales, Parts and Service that is really All Star!
Let our team at All Star Hyundai will help you find just what you are looking for! We have a large selection of new and used vehicles to choose from. There is something for everyone. Click here to see our inventory!
Our staff is qualified and able to assist you with any vehicle needs, concerns or questions you might have. We assure you that you will not be disappointed in our team! Come on over to All Star Hyundai to receive All-Star service!